•   Guide to the different categories of medicines to be used by travellers in Italy
•    Italian driving licenses
•    passports issue
•    I have been asked to produce a “Certificato penale” or a “Certificato dei carichi pendenti” for the period I lived in Italy. Who should I contact?
•    I have been asked to produce a Police Clearance certificate (also called Subject Access or Criminal Record Certificate or Certificate of good conduct). Who should I contact?
•    How can I apply for a fiscal code?
•    Can my Italian ID card be issued at the Consulate General of Italy in London?
•    My employer has asked me for my National Insurance number. What is it and how can I obtain it?
•    I worked in the UK for a few years and I would like to request a statement of the United Kingdom National Insurance contributions record for pension purposes. Who should I contact?
•    Years ago I worked in the UK and I punctually paid, in addition to taxes, national insurance contributions. How can I find out the amount of contributions I paid?
•    May I travel to Italy even if I have less than 3 months’ validity left on my UK passport or EU passport?
•    Do non-Italian minors wishing to travel to Italy have to be accompanied or can they travel alone?
•    What Italian travel documents are accepted to enter the United Kingdom?

Q. How can I pay for the Consulate services?
A.Only payments by cash are allowed

Q. What formalities should foreign nationals who intend to get married in Italy follow?
A. The documentation varies according to the nationality of the husband and wife-to-be. If they are both foreign nationals, they need to contact their respective Embassy in Rome or the Consulate nearest the place where they intend to marry. For a list of foreign missions in Italy please visit www.esteri.it.
If however either of them is Italian, they should refer to the Register Office of this Consulate General.

Q. How can I find out when there are vacancies at the London Consulate?
A. Any vacancy for a job, whether temporary or permanent, has to be expressly authorised by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Consulate, like all the other Italian institutions, recruits by “concorso” (public competition). Notices of competition are advertised both in the consular notice board and on our website www.conslondra.esteri.it (on our home page in the “News” section). The absence of any notice of competition means that there are no vacancies.

Q. I got married/I was born in Italy and I need to obtain a copy of my marriage certificate/birth certificate. Can you help?
A. You need to contact the “comune” (town hall) where you got married/were born. Please visit www.comuni.it for a list of comuni in Italy. If you are not Italian, you can contact your Embassy in Italy who may be able to assist you.

•    I need to buy an annual tax duty stamp for my passport. Who should I refer to?

Q. What are the formalities/requirements I need to fulfill to take my pet to Italy with me?
A. The formalities/requirements, set down by the Italian Ministry of Health (www.ministerosalute.it) , are as follows:
Animal health requirements applicable to non-commercial movement of pet animals in order to carry pets animals in Italy are under listed.

When being moved, pet animals of the species listed in parts A and B of Annex I of Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 (dogs, cats and ferrets) must:
• Be identified with eletctronic identification system (trasponder);
• Be accompanied by a passport issued by a veterinarian authorised by the competent authority certifying valid anti-rabies vaccination, or revaccination if applicable, in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturing laboratory, carried out on the animal in question with an inactivated vaccine of at least one antigenic unit per dose (WHO standard). The anti-rabies vaccination must be carried out on the animal in question 21 days before movement (if is the first anti-rabies vaccination).

The Ministry of Italian health (in compliance with Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 ) does not authorise the movement of animals listed in parts A and B of Annex I of Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 (dogs, cats and ferrets) which are under three months old and unvaccinated.
Concerning introduction in Italy from UK, of pet animals listed in annex I part c of Regulation 998/2003/EC, we need:

• A certificate signed by an Official Veterinarian, or veterinarian authorized by the competent authority, that declare: the animal has been inspected 48 hours before dispatch, showed no clinical sign of disease proper of the species and able to withstand carriage to their destination.

• The certificate must indicate: Identification of the animal, Owner of the animal, address of origin and destination

The species of poultry laid down in Council Directive of 15 October 1990 90/539/EEC on animal health conditions governing intra- Community trade in, and imports from third countries of , poultry and hatching eggs are not considered as pet animals.

Ministry of Health
Dipartimento per Sanità Pubblica Veterinaria, la Nutrizione e la Sicurezza degli Alimenti
Direzione Generale Sanità Animale e del Farmaco Veterinario
Ufficio coordinamento attività PIF-UVAC
Palazzo Italia
Piazzale Marconi 25
00144 Roma


Q. What do you mean by “residence”?
A. ”Residence” is the place where someone has their own habitual dwelling, that is where they spend the majority of their time.

Q. Who needs to register with the AIRE office?
A. All Italian nationals – wherever in the world they were born – who reside outside of Italy. Please note that the registration is compulsory.

Q. How do I register with the AIRE office?
A. The application to be registered with the AIRE office must be made directly by the person(s) concerned through the relevant Italian Consulate in the place where s/he resides. The Consulate, after having ascertained the applicant’s permanent and actual residence in the consular district, will send their application to the relevant Italian “Comune” (town hall) for consideration.

The Consulate has the power to register Italian nationals directly without their being directly involved provided it has ascertained their actual residence in the consular district. Italian nationals will however be informed the registration has been effected by administrative document issued by the Comune which will be served either by the Comune itself or by the relevant Italian Consulate.

Italian nationals residing outside Italy must notify the relevant comune and the Consular office where they reside of any change relating to:
• address
• citizenship
• marital status
• family members

The prompt update of your personal details is a legal requirement which will allow Italian offices to keep all the details relating to Italian nationals up-to-date. This will facilitate both the provision of services in Italy or abroad, and the contact between the Consulate and Italian nationals residing in its consular district.